Compliments of theKitchn
Recipe by The Hungry Hedgehog
It's our 12th week with only one more to go, therefore, it's only fitting to go with a comfort mug cake. Microwave mug cake is an awesome idea, but it’s only awesome if it tastes as good as the oven variety. No matter how easy or convenient it is, cake isn’t worth making or eating unless its totally delicious and has the perfect spongy but not an actual sponge cake texture.
Some people can make a mug cake in under five minutes, but it took a little bit longer especially since the frosting was made too. This recipe still shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes total. Cake cravings, beware!
This mug cake is a small (but satisfying!) portion, best for a short mug or ramekin. If you want a large mug sized cake, double the ingredients and change microwave time from 45 seconds to 1 minute.
The cream cheese frosting recipe calls for room temperature cream cheese. This is kind of important or the frosting won’t mix well and will be lumpy. Just in case you don’t have an hour to let your cream cheese sit out, one trick is to put the cream cheese in a small zip bag and knead it with your hands until it warms up.
Now, for the Apple Cinnamon Mug Cake...
Microwave Mug Cake Part 1: Apple Cinnamon
Prep time: 7 minutes
Cook time: 1 minute
Total time: 8 minutes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon room temp cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
1. Prepare icing by whisking ingredients with fork until fairly smooth, then set aside.
2. Mix together dry ingredients very well. Add applesauce and mix (it will be thick and sticky) and then mix in remaining ingredients. Dump into a small (7-10oz) mug or ramekin.
3. Microwave on high for about 45 seconds. Top with Icing and serve.
Bon Appétit to all our Apple and Cinnamon lovers...
Check back next Tuesday for another quick and easy Microwave Mug Cake from your friends at Interior Design!
Your kind contribution will allow us to continue sharing great, no cost and cost saving ideas for your space. Click the "Donate" button below to make a contribution. Thank you!