Courtesy of Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos
Perk up your dessert with ground coffee, orange zest and vanilla bean to create tasty shortbread squares you won't want to share. Get a taste of coffee in the form of these shortbread squares topped with powdered sugar.
Here's the recipe...
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons ground coffee (we used Lavazza Qualita Rossa)
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 orange, zested
- pinch of salt
- powdered sugar, for garnish
- 9"x6" baking pan
- standing kitchen mixer with paddle attachment
- aluminum foil
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. In a medium-size bowl, mix together flour, coffee, orange zest and salt.
3. On a cutting board, slice vanilla pod and remove its beans.
4. In standing mixer, at medium speed, melt together butter, sugar and vanilla beans until a soft, smooth cream is formed.
5. Reduce speed and slowly add flour and coffee mixture until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Make sure not to overwork dough during this step.
6. Line baking pan tightly with aluminum foil and pour dough inside.
7. Use a soft spatula dipped in cold water to spread dough evenly.
8. Place pan in refrigerator to rest for 30 minutes.
9. Remove from refrigerator and place pan on oven's middle rack and bake for 50 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and let rest for about 10 minutes.
11. Using a knife or pizza slicer, cut into bite-size squares and move pieces onto a baking sheet, making sure that cookies do not touch each other.
12. Bake again at 300 degrees F for 10 minutes.
13. Remove from oven, allow to cool, then garnish with powdered sugar and serve.
Recipe created by Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos, stars of Cooking Channel's Extra Virgin
Your cup of Joe delivered a different and delicious way...
Happy Valentine's Day!
Check back for more great Valentine ideas from your friends at Interior Design!
Your kind contribution will allow us to continue sharing great, no cost and cost saving ideas for your space. Click the "Donate" button below to make a contribution. Thank you!