Courtesy of DK Books - Greener
Photography by DK - A Greener Christmas, 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited
Happy Holidays Friends,
Make these wonderful, light candies as a sweet holiday treat. Package them as gifts by nestling them in baskets or decorative tins filled with colorful paper.
You'll need a candy thermometer to ensure the sugar solution reaches the correct temperature as it boils — be aware that it is extremely hot at this stage, so don't let children come too close to the pan.
- 3-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar syrup
- 1/4 cup clear honey
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg whites, beaten until stiff in a large bowl
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 10 oz. mixture of blanched almonds, hazelnuts and macadamia nuts
- Heat the sugar, syrup, honey and water in a saucepan until it reaches 310 degrees F. Stand the thermometer in the pan to check the temperature.
- When the heated sugar solution for the nougat candy is ready, add it to the bowl of beaten egg whites, beating the mixture constantly until it is stiff and waxy.
- Add the vanilla extract and the nuts to the bowl and fold them all carefully into the mixture using a large metal spoon.
- Put the nougat mix into a tin lined with wax paper. Allow to cool completely before cutting it into small squares. Once cool, store candy in an airtight tin.
Check back for more great ideas from your friends at Interior Design!
Your kind contribution will allow us to continue sharing great, no cost and cost saving ideas for your space. Click the "Donate" button below to make a contribution. Thank you!